Encyclopedia of Homosexuality. (Ref. HQ 76.25 .E53 1990)
This two-volume book received a lot of awards when it first came out but it was later discovered that some of the authors did not exist so proceed with caution. Some of the entries are more appropriate for Advocate than an encyclopedia.
Encyclopedia of American Social Movements
Homosexuality and Science: A Guide to the Debates
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Movement: Introduction Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Movement, 1870s–1920s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Movement, 1920s–1969 Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Movement, 1969–Present
Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender in America. (Ref. HQ 76.3 .U5 E53 2004)
This title is a scholarly and historical treatment of people and events in gay and lesbian history--a studied contrast to the above title.
International Encyclopedia of Sexuality. (Ref. HQ 21 .I68 1997)
Three volumes and arranged by country. There is a section on homosexuality for each country.
Lesbian Histories and Cultures: An Encyclopedia. (Ref. HQ 75.5 .L4395 2000)
The entries are scholarly but aimed at the general reader. Arranged by subject but there is a subject guide with entries.
Reader's Guide to Lesbian and Gay Studies. (Ref. HQ 75.15 .R43 2000)
I put this under encyclopedias depite the disclaimer in the editor's note that it is not an encyclopedia. It has the features of an enclopedia in that it includes academic topics important in gay and lesbian studies. For each entry, it lists books on the topic and critiques them.
Completely Queer: The Gay and Lesbian Encyclopedia. (Ref. HQ 75 .H63 1998)
People, places and events but nothing scholarly.
Images in the Dark:An Encyclopedia of gay and Lesbian Film and Video( Gaylor Collection PN 1995.9 H55 M87 1994)
Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender. (Also Ref. HQ 16 .E53 2004)
In volume one, there is a chapter on homosexuality.
Gay and Lesbian Biography. (Ref. HQ 75.2 .G39 1996)
Lengthy and scholarly articles on contemporaries.
Who's Who in Contemporary Gay and Lesbian History. (Ref. HQ 75.2 .W46 2001)
Coverage is from World War II to the present.
The Gay Almanac. (Ref. HQ 76.3 .U5 G367 1996)
The Lesbian Almanac. (Ref. HQ 75.6 .U5 L35 1996)
N.B.: Both of these books use the same format: slang, statistics, quotes.
Gay Rights. (HQ 76.8 .U5 K73, 3rd floor)
Covers chronology, glossary, annotated bibliography and legal decisions. Appendices include documents and excerpts from court decisions.
META SITES, DIRECTORIES AND PORTALS
Gender and Sexuality Studies - Coverage includes:
• General Resources
• Women's Studies & Feminist Theory
• Queer Studies
• Men's Movements & Men's/Masculinity Studies
• Cybergender & Techgender
• Sexual Harassment, Assault, and Abuse
Yahoo's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered - This is a very fine source arranged in a directory format:
- African American@
- By Region
- Gay Men
- Hispanic and Latino@
- Arts and Humanities@
- Business Directories@
- Chats and Forums
- Coming Out
- Computers and Internet
- Issues and Causes
- News and Media
- Online Shopping@
- Personal Experience
- Politics and Civil Rights
- Pride Symbols
- Religion and Spirituality@
- Thematic Apparel@
- Web Directories
N.B.: One can find many other dictionaries by going to Google and typing in "gay slang" or "gay dictionaries."
Politics and Law
Lambda Legal - "Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work."
GayLawNet - "GayLawNet® is dedicated to providing general information, news and resources concerning the law as it affects the global gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual and intersex (GLBTI) community and the simplest access to a gay or lesbian (or gay or lesbian-friendly) lawyer."
One: National Gay and Lesbian Archives - "The LGBT History Timeline is a web resource that chronicles the events that have shaped the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in Southern California and our movement for equality and justice for the past 65 years."
Timeline of GLBT History
Lesbian Herstory Archives
LGBT Demographis of the United States
Americans have No Idea How few Gay People There Are Atlantic Monthly
U S adults overestimate Homosexual population by as much as tenfold
What percent of the world is gay?
Queer Resources Directory - This is a first site containing over 25,000 files on such matters as organizations, workplace issues, religion, business and much more. Take a gander:
- Queers and their Families, including parenting and marriage.
- Queer Youth on campus and all over the world.
- Queers and Religion, and religious queers!
- Queer Health, with links to safer sex information.
- Electronic Resources, with links to all over the Net.
- Queer Media: magazines, TV, movies, more!
- Queer Events: conferences and celebrations on a global scale.
- Queer Culture, History and Origins: what makes us unique, where we've been and where we come from.
- Worldwide Queer Info: From Australia to Zimbabwe, we are everywhere.
- Business, Legal and Workplace issues, including info on domestic partnerships and queer-friendly businesses.
- Politics, Political News & Activism: Fight back with technology!
- Organizations, Directories & Newsletters: find them all here, or submit info on your organization.
- College/University-based LGBT Scholars, Programs & Resources
- Queer Studies
- Centers and Institutions
- Libraries & Archives
- Professional Caucuses/Organizations
- Journals/Periodicals/Literary publications
- Assorted links of potential interest
- Culture, History, and the Arts/Music/Cinema/Radio/TV
- Health/Support Groups/AIDS
- Human Rights/Law/Politics
Lesbianism.com - This site is arranged in a directory format covering gender issues, arts, spirituality, travel, sexuality, etc.
Women's Issues Website:Sexuality Scroll down and you will see several sites on lesbianism.