The Africa Bibliography is an authoritative guide to works in African studies published under the auspices of the International African Institute annually since 1984. This the online consolidated version brings together every record collected since the bibliography's foundation, producing a rich and interactive resource for all scholars interested in the study of Africa. Notes: Thanks to the Michigan Library Consortium (MCLS).
Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, the history of education, and more. Provides indexing of more than 1700 academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. How to export to RefWorks
JSTOR : Full text articles from many journals in African studies and history.
Project MUSE Includes many journals in African studies.
Major journals of African history
- African Online Digital Library (manuscripts, printed documents, images, oral histories and interviews on various aspects of African history)
- Africa Focus: Sights and Sounds of a Continent (slides, photographs and sound recordings)
ARTstor is a nonprofit digital library of more than one million images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and social sciences with a suite of software tools to view, present, and manage images for research and pedagogical purposes.
- African Studies Multimedia Archives (maps, images of art, wildlife, artifacts, and much more)
- African Art: Aesthetics and Meaning (images of an online exhibition catalog)
- The Humphrey Winterton Collection of East African Photographs, 1860-1960
- Images of Colonialism (late-19th and early-20th century trade cards and illustrated European newspapers that document how popular perceptions of Africa were propagated)
- African Politics Web Archive (websites of election campaigns in Africa)
The transatlantic slave trade
- selected books on South Africa History
- Cambridge History of South Africa
- South Africa's Diverse Peoples: A Reference Sourcebook
- African National Congress Historical Documents Archive
- South African History Online
- South Africa - Media
- Digital Innovation South Africa (DISA): images, documents and audio recordings documenting the socio-political history of South Africa, particularly the struggle for freedom during the period from 1950 to the first democratic elections in 1994
- Ghana maps
- Sudan Archive
- Travelers in the Middle East Archive (particularly Egypt)
- Oriental Institute Photographic Archives (Sudan, Egypt)
- The Giza Archives
- G.I. Jones Photographic Archive of Southeastern Nigerian Art and Culture
- The Liberian Letters
- The Congo Expedition, 1909-1915
- Genocide Archive of Rwanda
- Our Lagos History
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Humanities Librarian for History and Modern Languages