Web of Science contains publications related to the arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences. It’s an excellent database for comprehensive and interdisciplinary searches.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, data papers, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 66 million items
- Coverage years = 1900 to present
PubMed is a free online interface provided by the National Library of Medicine to search MEDLINE, which focuses on biomedical literature.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, datasets, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 28 million items
- Coverage years = 1946 to present
It’s free to search so you can use it after leaving OU (but you may not be able to access the full text of the items you find in PubMed).
Opposing Viewpoints in Context
This database explores opposing sides of many important issues; but your chosen topic may not be covered.
This database includes pro/con viewpoints, reference, newspaper, magazine and academic journal articles, statistics, videos, and images.
For BIO 3000, the ‘Energy and Environmentalism,’ ‘Health and Medicine,’ and ‘Science, Technology and Ethics’ sections will be the most relevant to look through.
- Abstract - or summary provided at the beginning of the article
- Methods section - how the research was conducted
- References - articles used by the authors are listed at the end.
- Level of language used - professional, scientific language is found in scholarly articles. Popular articles are written at an 8th grade reading level and are meant for the general public.
- de Boer, M., Dröes, R., Jonker, C., Eefsting, J., & Hertogh, C. (2010). Advance directives for euthanasia in dementia: Do law-based opportunities lead to more euthanasia? Health Policy, 98(2-3), 256–262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2010.06.024
If we don't have your article electronically or in-print, you can order the article through InterLibrary Loan using ILLiad. It's a free service but a few days for the article to be available.
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.
Writing Resources for Students
Find in-depth information about the mechanics of writing, MLA/APA citations, avoiding plagiarism, and more.
The consultants can help you with every stage of the writing process.
Contact me at: email@example.com