Chinese language Textbooks for foreign speakers English
Chinese language Vocabulary.
Online Chinese Tools: Tools to assist people in learning and using the Chinese language: dictionaries, flashcards for Chinese characters, reference works, and much more.
The Wisdom of Chinese Characters: This 60-minute long, 10-episode series explains the charms of Chinese characters and links them to Chinese culture (in Chinese and/or English).
- Chinese dictionaries at Kresge Library: Chinese language Dictionaries English and Chinese language Dictionaries
- Online Chinese-English Dictionary
- Chinese-English Dictionary of Modern Usage: Free online version of the dictionary compiled by Lin Yutang.The dictionary comprises a total of 8,169 head characters, together with 44,407 explanatory entries of grammatical usage and 40,379 entries of Chinese words or phrases.
- Modern Chinese characters
- Chinese Fiction Writers, 1900-1949 and 1950-2000 ( available through Dictionary of Literary Biography )
- Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism contains entries on Chinese theory and criticism.
- Encyclopedia of Modern China
- China Today: An Encyclopedia of Life in the People's Republic
- Encyclopedia of contemporary Chinese culture
- Cambridge Companion to Modern Chinese Culture
- The World Factbook on China (CIA)
- Background Notes on China (Department of State)
- Library of Congress country study: China
- Government of the People's Republic of China: The website contains many useful resources, such as an archive of demographic, economic and other information.
- National Bureau of Statistics of China
China Gift Collection (located room 326-328 Kresge Library)
Over 400 contemporary books on China.
To search this collection in the catalog:
Choose "Advanced search" in the library catalog. In the "Location" option, select "China Gift Collection" from the dropdown menu.
The collection has been made possible through the generosity of Opal Redman. Ms. Redman, a retired Detroit school teacher, went to China first in 1990 to train teachers of English and eventually coordinated the efforts of the SEHS Chinese Summer Language Institute at Guizhou Normal University in Giuyang, China for many years. She is the author of "The Ripple Effect" and co-author of "Change and Growth in the Oakland/Guizhou Program" in which she talks about her experiences with the Guizhou - Oakland partnership.
Full text of core scholarly journals from their beginning to approximately one year ago. Disciplines include botany, business, ecology, general science, humanities, mathematics, social sciences, and statistics. Browsable by discipline and full-text searchable across all disciplines. Especially good for historic or classic articles in most fields. Coverage: 1665 to present. How to export to RefWorks Contains many titles in Chinese and Asian studies.
Several journals about China.
The most comprehensive source for world history publications. To find sources, click on the "Get It!" link.
China Information (journal)
"Presents timely and in-depth analyses of major developments in contemporary China and overseas Chinese communities in the areas of politics, economics, law, ecology, culture, and society, including literature and the arts."
China Report (journal)
"An indispensable source of information on China, its society and culture. The journal covers inter-related subject areas - economics, history, international relations, law, politics and sociology. In addition to research articles, the journal carries review articles, book reviews and a documents/speeches section."
The community-built collections comprise contributions from outstanding museums, photographers, libraries, scholars, photo archives, and artists and artists' estates. You can browse by country and find images relating to Chinese arts, literature, science and technology, decorative arts, and more.
Historical Photographs of China
Large online collection of photos of China, taken by Europeans at the turn of the century.
Over 8,000 digitized images of photographs of China taken between 1850 and 1950.
Sidney D. Gamble Photographs
About 5,000 phtoographs of China taken by amateur photographer S. Gamble between 1917 and 1932.
A visual Sourcebook of Chinese Civilization
A selection of images illustrating major issue in Chinese studies.
Humanities Librarian for History and Modern Languages
Office hours: W 3-5pm, KL 244. Contact me to make an appointment.