SciFinder is a tool provided by Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) that covers biomedical sciences, chemistry, engineering, materials science, and agricultural science. You can search it by keyword, chemical structure or substructure, reaction, chemical name, or formula.
- Publication types: journal articles, patents from around the world, dissertations, abstracts, reviews, books, reputable web sources
- Updated daily
- Contains over 48 million items
- Coverage years = 1800s to present
Before using, you’re required to register for a personal SciFinder account.
Web of Science
Web of Science contains publications related to the arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences. It’s an excellent database for comprehensive and interdisciplinary searches.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, data papers, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 66 million items
- Coverage years = 1900 to present
Scopus an international multi-disciplinary database for the sciences and social sciences.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, patents, conference proceedings/papers, trade publications, editorials
- Contains over 70 million items
- Coverage years = 1970 to present
Ulrich’s contains over 300,000 periodicals of all types: academic and scholarly journals, e-journals, peer-reviewed titles, popular magazines, newspapers, and newsletters. Each periodical summary tells you information such as ISSN, publisher, language, subject, and reviews written by librarians. Ulrich’s will tell you if a journal is peer-reviewed or refereed!
The website of the American Chemical Society.
"A free chemical structure database providing fast text and structure search access to over 26 million structures from hundreds of data sources." Sponsored by the RSC.
A guide to the development and characteristics of the Periodical Table of Elements.
- The New York Times Science Section - leading US newspaper
- BBC News Science Section - UK news source
- EurekAlert! - created by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Nature News - science news articles from Nature Publishing Group
- New Scientist - UK science & technology magazine
- Smithsonian magazine Science Section - publication by the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C.
- National Public Radio Science Section
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.
Write Like a Chemist: A Guide and Resouce by Marin Robinson
Ulrich's Periodicals Directory
Is this journal peer-reviewed or refereed? Ulrich's will tell you!