PubMed is a free online interface provided by the National Library of Medicine to search MEDLINE, which focuses on biomedical literature.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, datasets, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 28 million items
- Coverage years = 1946 to present
It’s free to search so you can use it after leaving OU (but you may not be able to access the full text of the items you find in PubMed).
SciFinder is a tool provided by Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) that covers biomedical sciences, chemistry, engineering, materials science, and agricultural science. You can search it by keyword, chemical structure or substructure, reaction, chemical name, or formula.
- Publication types: journal articles, patents from around the world, dissertations, abstracts, reviews, books, reputable web sources
- Updated daily
- Contains over 48 million items
- Coverage years = 1800s to present
Before using, you’re required to register for a personal SciFinder account.
New to SciFinder or need a refresher on how to search it? CAS has several short (> 5 min) tutorials that can help you to search SciFinder quickly and easily.
Web of Science
Web of Science contains publications related to the arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences. It’s an excellent database for comprehensive and interdisciplinary searches.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, data papers, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 66 million items
- Coverage years = 1900 to present
Penguin Dictionary of Biology
McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary
Contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Write Like a Chemist: A Guide and Resouce by Marin Robinson (available online)
Ulrich's Periodicals Directory
Is this journal peer-reviewed or refereed? Ulrich's will tell you!