Web of Science contains publications related to the arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences. It’s an excellent database for comprehensive and interdisciplinary searches.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, data papers, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 66 million items
- Coverage years = 1900 to present
PubMed is a free online interface provided by the National Library of Medicine to search MEDLINE, which focuses on biomedical literature.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, datasets, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 28 million items
- Coverage years = 1946 to present
It’s free to search so you can use it after leaving OU (but you may not be able to access the full text of the items you find in PubMed).
Scopus an international multi-disciplinary database for the sciences and social sciences.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, patents, conference proceedings/papers, trade publications, editorials
- Contains over 70 million items
- Coverage years = 1970 to present
- The New York Times Science Section - leading US newspaper
- BBC News Science Section - UK news source
- EurekAlert! - created by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Nature News - science news articles from Nature Publishing Group
- New Scientist - UK science & technology magazine
- Smithsonian magazine Science Section - publication by the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C.
- National Public Radio Science Section
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.