- Problem Identification: Converting information needs into an answerable question
- Finding the Evidence: Finding, with maximum efficiency, the best evidence with which to answer the question
- Critique: Determining the merit, feasibility and utility of evidence
- Summarize the Evidence: Combining findings from all evidence to make a practice recommendation
- Application to Practice: Incorporating the recommendation into a clinical setting or organization
- Evaluation – Determining the effective of the practice over time
CINAHL Plus with Full-Text is a comprehensive and highly-authoritative database for research in nursing and health sciences. (View a Researching with CINAHL tutorial.)
Cochrane Library A collection of databases that contain evidence for healthcare decision-making. Includes systematic review abstracts, technology assessments, economic evaluations and individual clinical trials. (View a recorded lecture on using Cochrane Library.)
Open Access search engines for evidence-based literature:
PubMed (MEDLINE) The National Library of Medicine's free interface for biomedical journal citations.
PubMed Central - The U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal articles.
National Guideline Clearinghouse is a public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
TRIP Database is a clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
The NHS Clinical Knowledge Summaries (formerly PRODIGY) are a reliable source of evidence-based information and practical 'know how' about the common conditions managed in primary care. (UK based)
- Nursing Resource Center - (MEL) Mostly Full-text. Disease and drug overviews, care plans, relevant journal results and animated anatomy and physiology diagrams, core encyclopedia texts. NOTE: Michigan residents or Michigan library access only.
- BMC Nursing: BioMed Central -- journal offering peer-reviewed research in all areas of nursing
- Directory of Open Access Journals - 9000 open access journals covering all areas of science, technology, medicine, social science and humanities.
- Cancer Nursing Journal - OA collection - addresses the whole spectrum of problems arising in the care and support of cancer patients.
- Internet Scientific Publications - free online journals in many health related topics
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI) - Nursing Informatics
- The Open Nursing Journal: Bentham Open - publishes research articles, reviews, letters and guest edited thematic issues in all areas of nursing.
- GoogleScholar - A subsection of Google that searches only scholarly literature.
1. Authority - Who is the author/developer? What are her/his qualifications? What are the affiliations, if any?
2. Currency - Is the material current, updated regularly?
3. Relevancy - How relevant is the information to your topic?
4. Accuracy - How do you know the information contained is correct? Are the facts cited, can they be checked?
5. Objectivity/Bias - Is the information presented objectively? What bias might the authors/creators have?
6. Appropriateness - Is this a good source for academic / scholarly level research?
Evidence-Based Practice Quick Reference Guide (Alaska Medical Library)
Evidence-Based Practice in the Health Sciences: EBP Nursing Tutorial (UIC)
Analyzing Sources & Literature Review tutorials:
Essential Elements of a Literature Review guide (UC Santa Cuz)
Conducting Literature Reviews - detailed guide (USC)
Critically Analyzing Information Sources (Cornell Libraries)
Searching Evidence based databases lectures:
(Pre-recorded) Advanced Nursing Research - CINAHL
(Pre-recorded) Advance Nursing Research - PubMed (Medline)
(Pre-recorded) Advanced Nursing Research - Cochrane Library