Archives the full-text of articles from nearly 300 history journals.
America: History & Life
The definitive index of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present. Provides indexing for 1,700 journals. How to export to RefWorks. Coverage: 1964-present
Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, the history of education, and more. Provides indexing of more than 1700 academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. How to export to RefWorks
Includes numerous history journals.
Colonial America and Early Republic and Antebellum America: an online general history, including primary sources and references for further reading.
A multi-volume set that includes 3 volumes of documents on the colonial period, and one on the early Republic.
Judicial Cases Concerning American Slavery
Legal documents regarding slavery
Early American Imprints, entire series
Books, pamphlets, broadsides, newspapers, government documents and ephemera printed in colonial America and the early republic.
American Periodicals Online Series
This source includes digitized images of the pages of American magazines and journals published from 1740-1940.
Eighteenth Century Collections Online
180,000 titles (200,000 volumes) including books, pamphlets, essays, broadsides and more. Works published in the UK during the 18th century plus thousands from elsewhere. Based on the English Short Title Catalogue.
Colonial newspapers at KL (microcards in room 143KL- readable with our new microform reader and scanner). Example: Boston Chronicle (1767-1770)
Digital library of over one million images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and social sciences. To find U.S. history resources browse by Geography, select United States.
Digitized archives documenting the history of the region.
(in addition to those listed in the general history guide):
- Colonial charters, grants and related documents (Avalon Project)
- Maps: exploration and discovery / American Revolution (American Memory)
- Maps of the Middle Atlantic Region to 1850 (New York Public Library)
- Plymouth Colony Archive Project
- Virtual Jamestown
- The Transatlantic Slave Trade (Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture)
- Transatlantic Slave Trade Database
- France in America (Library of Congress and BNF)
- Salem Witch Trial Documentary Archive
- Records of the American colonies (Hathi Trust)
- Early Canadiana Online
- Early Americas Digital Archive
- Archive of Early American Images
- Indians of the Midwest (Newberry Library)
- The American Constitution - a Documentary Record (Avalon Project)
- Documents from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention (American Memory)
- Founders Online (papers of Washington, Franklin, Hamilton, Madison and Adams)
- Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774-1873 (American Memory)
- Works of Jonathan Edwards (Yale)
- The Early Caribbean Digital Archive
For more sources see:
Eighteenth Century Studies. Research on all aspects of 18th century culture.
The Journal of American History. One of the leading scholarly publications in American history.
The American Historical Review. The journal of the American Historical Association covers all fields of history and is the leading scholarly historical publication in the U.S.
The Journal of the Early Republic. Covers the period 1776-1861.
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Humanities Librarian for History and Modern Languages