The Cambridge Companions provide overviews of literary movements, periods and authors such as Moliere, Flaubert, Sartre, or Camus. They include bibliographies.
Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism
Historical survey of the most important critics and theorists, critical schools, and movements in literary theory and criticism. Includes more than 240 alphabetically arranged entries, including the critical and theoretical innovations of specific countries and historical periods. See entries on French theory and criticism, organized by period. There are also entries on specific critics like Flaubert, Foucault or Rousseau.
Dictionary of Literary Biography (DLB)
An extensive scholarly reference book covering authors, books and various topics in literature. Each chapter provides an extensive bibliography. Of special interest:
- a volume on French dramatists, 1789-1914
- volumes on French poetry: in the 19th century, modern poets
- a series on French writers by period: the Middle Ages, 16th century, 17th century, Enlightenment (vol. 1 and 2), romanticism and realism, naturalism and beyond
- a series on French novelists in the 20th century (1900-1930, 1930-1969 and since 1960)
The most comprehensive database to search for books, book chapters, articles and websites published on modern languages, literatures, and folklore. To learn how to search for articles on French literature in MLA, view our tutorial (4mn).
Hundreds of full-text journals in a variety of subject areas, including French / Francophone literature and history. Coverage of most journals extends back to the journal's first issue (sometimes in the 1800s) up to, but not including the last few years. Tips for searching: always choose "advanced search"; select "History" or "Language and Literature" from the list of disciplines.
A collection of journals in the humanities and social sciences, including French studies.
Important journals in French studies:
- French studies
- Yale French Studies
- French Review
- Nineteenth-Century French Studies
- @nalyses: revue de critique et theorie litteraire
- Revue d'histoire litteraire de la France
- Relief: Revue electronique de litterature francaise
- French Cultural Studies: A journal with wideranging coverage including French literature, popular culture and society.
Cairn.info: another online collection of French scholarly journals, including French literature, in open access.
Isidore: a new search engine that searches the collections of Cairn, Persee, and many more online resources in the humanities and social sciences.
List of French-language journals and reviews (maintained by the French department at Lehman College, CUNY)
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.