- Kresge Library Catalog
You can use the library catalog to find books, scholarly & popular journals, government documents, dvds & videos, reference materials, sheet music, and more.
A statewide catalog of many of Michigan's libraries. It allows you to request books at another library be sent to Kresge Library for you.
A catalog of materials owned by libraries worldwide. How to export to RefWorks . Use it to find items at other libraries that you can request through inter-library loan.
- E151-183 United States - General works - encyclopedias, etc.
- E740-749 General works on the 20th century
- E813-E816 Truman's administrations
- E835-837 Eisenhower's administrations
- E841-843 Kennedy's administration
- E846-851 Johnson's administrations
- E855-861 Nixon's administrations
- E865-868 Ford's administration
- E872-875 Carter's administration
- E876-880 Reagan's administrations
- E881-884 George H. W. Bush's administration
- E885-889 Clinton's administrations
- E902-904 George W. Bush's administrations
- E907-909 Obama's administration
- America: History & Life
The definitive index of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present. Provides indexing for 1,700 journals. How to export to RefWorks. Coverage: 1964-present
- Historical Abstracts
The same for world history.
- JSTOR and Project MUSE
Full text of numerous history journals
- New York Times Historical
- Detroit Free Press Historical online - 1831-1922 only
- Detroit News (1890-present) and London Times (1906-present) at KL on microfilm. See Detroit News Index (Ref. AI 21 .D4 D45) and Times Index (Ref. AI 21 .T46).
- Locate other historical newspapers online.
- Foreign Relations of the United States - A series that provides copies of important documents in foreign relations history (also available in print in the library in the documents collection - S 1.1: - The online version is not yet complete). See also University of Wisconsin Digital Collections for early volumes.
- American Presidency Project (UCSB) - Searchable database of presidential documents.
- Other government search tools: Government documents for historians
- ARTstor: A digital library of more than one million images. Check out the American Studies Subject Guide for tips on searching the collection for relevant materials.
- VAST: Academic Video Online : a video database documenting American history (presidential speeches, TV news coverage, etc.)
- National Security Archive (declassified documents)
- International History Declassified (Wilson Center Digital Archive)
- Middle East 1916-2001 - documents in law, history and diplomacy (Yale University). Many other foreign policy collections available.
- Digital Public Library of America
- Hathi Trust
- Internet Archive
Search the Library Catalog. Often, important primary sources are gathered together and reprinted in books. The following words and phrases in the Subject Headings of a book record may indicate that the item contains primary source material:
|--Diaries||--Songs and music|
|--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.||--Facsimiles|
|--Records and correspondence||--Manuscripts|
You can use any of these terms in a Boolean Keyword search of your topic. For example: Eisenhower and correspondence.
The History Research Guide and the Midddle Eastern History Guide list other online primary source collections.
The reference lists and bibliographies of books and journal articles that you find will help identify other valuable materials on your topic. Your next step is to determine whether KL owns that book or journal article.
e.g.: Suppose you find the following citation in the bibliography of a book or article you're reading:
Michael Ottolenghi, “Harry Truman’s Recognition of Israel,” The Historical Journal 47 no. 4 (2004): 963–88.
Check to see if KL owns this journal by
- entering the article title in OneSearch.
- or searching the Library Catalog (perform a Journal Title search using the title of the journal — Journal of Military History — NOT the title of the article.)
If Kresge Library does not have this article, you can order a copy through Interlibrary Loan.
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.
K. Turabian, A Manual for Writers (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 2007)