You can use the library catalog to find books, scholarly & popular journals, government documents, dvds & videos, reference materials, sheet music, and more.
A statewide catalog of many of Michigan's libraries. It allows you to request books at another library be sent to Kresge Library for you.
A catalog of materials owned by libraries worldwide. How to export to RefWorks
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
An 8-volume series that provides an overview of African history from the earliest times to 1975.
New Encyclopedia of Africa
Print. Ref. DT 2 .N48 2008
Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, the history of education, and more. Provides indexing of more than 1700 academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. How to export to RefWorks
Full text articles from many journals in African studies and history.
Includes many journals in African studies.
Archive of African Journals (MSU African Studies Center)
Full text of 11 African journals
Major journals of African history
Primary Sources online:
- African Online Digital Library (manuscripts, printed documents, images, oral histories and interviews on various aspects of African history)
- Africa Focus: Sights and Sounds of a Continent (slides, photographs and sound recordings)
- African National Congress (archive of documents relating to South Africa's liberation movement)
- Endangered Archives (African collections at the British Library)
- Foreign Relations of the United States (documents about US foreign policy and diplomacy, including with African countries)
- African Collections (Stanford University)
- African Activist Archive Project (records of activism in the United States to support the struggles of African peoples against colonialism, apartheid, and social injustice from the 1950s through the 1990s -MSU)
ARTstor is a nonprofit digital library of more than one million images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and social sciences with a suite of software tools to view, present, and manage images for research and pedagogical purposes.
- African Studies Multimedia Archives (maps, images of art, wildlife, artifacts, and much more)
- African Art: Aesthetics and Meaning (images of an online exhibition catalog)
- The Humphrey Winterton Collection of East African Photographs, 1860-1960
- Images of Colonialism (late-19th and early-20th century trade cards and illustrated European newspapers that document how popular perceptions of Africa were propagated)
- African Politics Web Archive (websites of election campaigns in Africa)
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.