Blackwell Companion to Franklin D. Roosevelt (e-book)
Encyclopedia of the Great Depression (Gale - e-book)
The Cambridge Economic History of the United States, vol. 3 (20th century) includes a chapter on the Great Depression and other relevant chapters.
Archives the full-text of articles from numerous history journals.
America: History & Life
The definitive index of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present. Provides indexing for 1,700 journals. How to export to RefWorks. Coverage: 1964-present
Includes numerous history journals.
Good to search for sources on cultural and social themes.
Offers full-text, full-image articles of The New York Times, going back to 1851. The database can be used to search national and international news, editorials, obituaries, birth and marriage announcements, plus historical photos and advertisements. The documents are downloadable in PDF format. How to export to RefWorks
Chicago Defender (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
Covers several editions of the Chicago Defender newspaper from 1909-1975.
VAST: Academic Video Online
Videos in American history, including newsreels from teh 1930 and 1940s
Selected Primary Sources at KL
- The Detroit News (KL - on microfilm)
- Annals of America - vol. 15, Great Depression (KL, E 173 .A793)
- Boom and bust; the twenties and thirties (KL, E743 .M6)
- The New Deal at home and abroad, 1929-1945 (KL, E743 .C462)
- Dear Mrs. Roosevelt : letters from children of the Great Depression (KL,
E 807.1 .R48 D43 2002)
- Depression, recovery, and war, 1929-1945 (KL, E173 .D58 v 7)
- Hard times : an oral history of the great depression (e-book)
- A penny's worth of minced ham: another look at the Great Depression (e-book)
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library digital collections
- The American Presidency Project (papers of president Roosevelt)
- American Life Histories: manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-940 (LOC)
- America from the Great Depression to WWII: photographs from the FSA (LOC)
- American Demographic History Chartbook, 1790-2000: graphics and data taken from the U.S. Census
- Radical Responses to the Great Depression (online exhibit of the UM libraries)
- Going Back to Iowa: The World of Grant Wood (depression-era regionalism in painting)
- A New Deal for the Arts (National Archives exhibit)
- Teaching with documents (selected primary sources for Great Depression history)
- KL history guide
- List of digital collections on the Great Depression (History Matters)
- Government documents guide.
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.