- Request books be pulled for pickup - shipping and contactless pick-up available
- Request PDF copies of print articles and book chapters
- Electronic course reserves, available for some classes
- Virtual research help
Encyclopedia of the Great Depression and the New Deal (e-book)
The Cambridge Economic History of the United States, vol. 3 (20th century) includes a chapter on the Great Depression and other relevant chapters.
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Offers full-text, full-image articles of The New York Times, going back to 1851. The database can be used to search national and international news, editorials, obituaries, birth and marriage announcements, plus historical photos and advertisements. The documents are downloadable in PDF format. How to export to RefWorks
Chicago Defender (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
Covers several editions of the Chicago Defender newspaper from 1909-1975.
VAST: Academic Video Online
Videos in American history, including newsreels from the1930 and 1940s
Selected Primary Sources at KL
- Boom and bust; The Twenties and Thirties (KL, E743 .M6)
- The New Deal at Home and Abroad, 1929-1945 (KL, E743 .C462)
- Dear Mrs. Roosevelt : Letters from Children of the Great Depression (KL, E 807.1 .R48 D43 2002 and online)
- Depression, Recovery, and War, 1929-1945 (KL, E173 .D58 v 7)
- Hard times: An Oral History of the Great Depression (e-book)
- A Penny's Worth of Minced Ham: Another Look at the Great Depression (e-book)
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library digital collections
- The American Presidency Project (papers of president Roosevelt)
- American Life Histories: manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-940 (LOC)
- America from the Great Depression to WWII: photographs from the FSA (LOC)
- American Demographic History Chartbook, 1790-2000: graphics and data taken from the U.S. Census
- A New Deal for the Arts (National Archives exhibit)
- National Archives documents (selected primary sources for Great Depression history)
- The New Deal and The Grapes of Wrath (DPLA selection of documents)
Humanities Librarian for History and Modern Languages
[by phone or virtual meeting]
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.