The Cambridge History of Latin America (online)
Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture
(print, Ref.F 1406 .E53 2008)
LANIC (Latin American Network Information Center)
Guide to Latin American resources online
A statewide catalog of many of Michigan's libraries. It allows you to request books at another library be sent to Kresge Library for you.
A catalog of materials owned by libraries worldwide. How to export to RefWorks
Handbook of Latin American Studies
bibliography on Latin America consisting of works selected and annotated by scholars.
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, the history of education, and more. Provides indexing of more than 1700 academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. How to export to RefWorks
JSTOR and Project MUSE
Archives the full-text of articles from numerous history journals and journals in Latin American studies
Latin American Open Archives Portal: provides access to working documents, pre-prints, research papers, statistical documents, and other difficult-to-access materials in the social sciences produced in Latin America.
SciELO: journals from 14 Latin American countries
- early modern Spanish texts (in Spanish)
- World Digital Library, Latin America: images, texts and maps
- Digital Archive of Latin American and Caribbean Ephemera
- Digital Library of the Caribbean
- Latin American Digital Initiatives (archival documents from Latin America, with an emphasis on collections documenting human rights, race, ethnicity, and social exclusion)
Latin American - US relations
- Foreign Relations of the United States - A series (also available in print in the library in the documents collection - S 1.1) that provides copies of important documents in foreign relations history.
For early years, see also the Wisconsin Digital Collections.
- American Presidency Project (UCSB) - Searchable database of presidential documents.
- Avalon Project - Documents in Law, History and Diplomacy (Yale University)
Country / topic specific sources
Newspapers and media
- New York Times Historical
- Reveal Digital: Independent Voices
A growing collection of magazines, journals, and newspapers of the independent alternative press of the 1960s-1980s. Good primary sources for the history of feminists, dissident GIs, campus radicals, Native Americans, anti-war activists, Black Power advocates, Latinos, gays, lesbians and more.
- World Newsreels Online: 1929-1966
Streaming video capturing full runs of many of the key international newsreels produced during the early twentieth century.
Major English-language newspapers and magazines
- Chronicling America
Historic US newspapers to 1963.
For more information:
Humanities Librarian for History and Modern Languages
[by phone or virtual meeting]