Beyond Kresge Library:
A statewide catalog of many of Michigan's libraries. It allows you to request books at another library be sent to Kresge Library for you.
A catalog of materials owned by libraries worldwide. How to export to RefWorks . Use it to find items at other libraries that you can request through inter-library loan.
Cambridge Histories Online - a series of historical overviews written by prominent historians, with bibliographies and historiographical essays on the Middle East:
The reference lists and bibliographies of books and journal articles that you find will help identify other valuable materials on your topic. Your next step is to determine whether KL owns that book or journal article.
e.g.: Suppose you find the following citation in the bibliography of a book or article you're reading:
Michael Ottolenghi, “Harry Truman’s Recognition of Israel,” The Historical Journal 47 no. 4 (2004): 963–88.
Check to see if KL owns this item by entering the article title in OneSearch, using quotation marks around it.
If Kresge Library does not have this article, you can order a copy through Interlibrary Loan.
- New York Times Historical
- Detroit Free Press Historical
- Detroit News (1890-present) and London Times (1906-present) at KL on microfilm.
To identify topics, use the Detroit News Index (Ref. AI 21 .D4 D45) and Times Index (Ref. AI 21 .T46)
The London Times is also online for the 1980-present period
- Chicago Defender (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Reveal Digital: Independent Voices
Alternative press of the 1960s-1980s
- Locate other historical newspapers online.
- Foreign Relations of the United States - A series that provides copies of important documents in foreign relations history (also available in print in the library in the documents collection - S 1.1).
- American Presidency Project (UCSB) - Searchable database of presidential documents.
- Congressional Publications
- Congressional House and Senate Unpublished Hearings
- Other government search tools: Government documents for historians
Images and audio-visual sources
- ARTstor : A digital library of images
- World Newsreels Online: 1929-1966 : a video database documenting American history (presidential speeches, TV news coverage, etc.)
- National Security Archive
Declassified US government documents
- Wilson Center Digital Archive
International history, many documents in Middle East history
- Middle East 1916-2001
Documents in law, history and diplomacy (Yale University). Many other foreign policy collections available.
- Digital Public Library of America
A portal to digital collections across the US
- Hathi Trust
A vast digital library containing primary and secondary publications
- Internet Archive
Often, important primary sources are gathered together and reprinted in books. Use the Library Catalog advanced search to find them. For example, search "Eisenhower correspondence"
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.
Humanities Librarian for History and Modern Languages
[by phone or virtual meeting]