Europe 1450 to 1789 : encyclopedia of the early modern world (Ref. D 209 .E97 2004)
Historical dictionary of the Elizabethan world : Britain, Ireland, Europe, and America (Ref. DA 357 .W34 1999)
Use the catalog to find books, journals, videos, goverment documents, and other materials we have at the library.
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
JSTOR and Project MUSE include the full text of numerous history journals.
Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, the history of education, and more. Provides indexing of more than 1700 academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. How to export to RefWorks
Major journals in European history:
- The Journal of Modern History. The leading American journal for the study of European intellectual, political, and cultural history.
- Past and Present. Scholarly articles on historical, social and cultural change in all parts of the world.
- The American Historical Review. The journal of the American Historical Association covers all fields of history and is the leading scholarly historical publication in the U.S.
- International Review of Social History. Global scope, research in social and labour history from a comparative and transnational perspective.
- European History Quarterly. Covers European history from the later Middle Ages to post-1945.
Index to online repositories of primary sources for the study of European history
Eighteenth Century Collections Online
180,000 titles (200,000 volumes) including books, pamphlets, essays, broadsides and more. Works published in the UK during the 18th century plus thousands from elsewhere. Based on the English Short Title Catalogue.
Early English Books Online
Contains digital facsimile page images of virtually every work printed in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and British North America and works in English printed elsewhere from 1473-1700 - from the first book printed in English by William Caxton, through the age of Spenser and Shakespeare and the tumult of the English Civil War.
Europeana: digital images of paintings, films, music and books from Europe's largest cultural institutions.
Archives Portal Europe: numerous digitized sources and a directory of archival repositories and collections in Europe
A digital thematic research collection of art, music and literary periodicals published between 1848, the year of the European Revolutions, and 1923.
United States Army in the First World War
A 17-volume set compiling key documents, maps, and records for the American Expeditionary Forces
United Nations Library and Archives Geneva
19th Century international peace movements, the League of Nations, the United Nations Office at Geneva, and various UN entities. Some – like the archives of the League of Nations, the drafting of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Bertha von Suttner personal papers – are digitized and available online.
Collections of European national libraries
University of Manchester Medieval Collection
Collections of medieval books on History, Theology, Art, Literature, Language, and the History of Science and Medicine
Walters Art Museum
Over 900 illuminated manuscripts, 1,250 of the first printed books (ca. 1455 - 1500)
Morgan Library & Museum
Thousands of images from the Morgan’s collection of medieval and renaissance manuscripts
British Library digitized manuscripts
Henry Charles Lea Library
Collection of books and primary sources on the religious history of the medieval and early modern period (University of Pennsylvania)
A list of online libraries that provide access to digitized medieval manuscripts
An inventory of online resources in early modern history, manuscript studies, and more
The Italian cultural resources aggregator
- French History
- Persee: this online repository has many French history scholarly publications (in French)
- Gallica (digital library of the French National Library)
- INA (audiovisual resources)
- La Contemporaine (history of 20th century)
- French Political Pamphlets (1547-1626)
- Internet Medieval Sourcebook
- ELEC digital library - includes texts like the edit de Nantes et ses antecedents
- French Revolution Pamphlets
- Liberty, Equality, Fraternity: Exploring the French Revolution
- French collections search portal (digitized collections of dozens of French national and local cultural heritage institutions)
- Digital library of Lyon
- Paris: Capital of the 19th Century (books, periodicals, images)
- Images of the Siege and Commune of Paris
- L'histoire par l'image (images of French history, 1789-1945)
- Charles de Gaulle: Paroles publiques (audio and video of De Gaulle speeches)
- JSTOR includes several journals in British studies.
Search Archives Hub to find archival materials in over 300 British archives. See also:
- English Historical Documents (3rd floor, DA26.E55)
- Early English Books Online
- Nineteenth Century British Pamphlets
Online access to the most significant British pamphlets from the 19th century held in UK research libraries. Focus is on the political, economic and social issues of the time.
- British History Online (sources on medieval and modern history)
- Connected Histories (search for primary sources on early modern to 19th century British history)
- UK Government publications online
- Parliament publications
- The Newton Project
- The British Newspaper Archive (over 200 newspapers - available for a fee through the British Library)
- Guide to 19th century UK periodicals online
- British Library Manuscripts
- A Vision of Britain Through Time
- British Pathe (archive of Pathe films)
- UK History at EuroDocs
- Oxford Digital Collections
- Histpop : online historical population reports (1801-1937)
- Act of Union documents 1707
- 1916 rising : personalities and perspectives online exhibition (National Library of Ireland)
- Collins Collection of Irish political cartoons
- Irish penal laws
- Murals of Northern Ireland
- Ulster covenant
- Irish Virtual Research Library
- Digital Repository of Ireland
- German history in documents and images
- German History sources at EuroDocs
- Digitized German newspapers
- Research reviews and literary journals of the 18th and 19th centuries
- Manuscripts and photographs of the Bayerishe Staatsbibliothek
- Reichstag proceedings, transcripts, 1867-1895
- Holocaust Sources in Context
- A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust (includes primary sources)
- Germany and the Soviet Union, 1937-1938 and 1939-1941
- Berlinische Monatsschrift, a periodical published between 1783 and 1811
- Berlin Wall Online (stories, photographs....)
- German-American diplomacy, 1785-1868
- Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek (to search for resources across German libraries, archives, and museums)