Europe 1450 to 1789 : encyclopedia of the early modern world (Ref. D 209 .E97 2004)
Historical dictionary of the Elizabethan world : Britain, Ireland, Europe, and America (Ref. DA 357 .W34 1999)
Use the catalog to find books, videos, recordings, and goverment documents we have at the library.
A statewide catalog of many of Michigan's libraries. It allows you to request books at another library be sent to Kresge Library for you.
The catalogs of worldwide libraries
Selected books on Western European history at KL:
Civilization, Western History.
Europe, western civilization
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
JSTOR and Project MUSE include the full text of numerous history journals.
Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, the history of education, and more. Provides indexing of more than 1700 academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. How to export to RefWorks
European History Primary Sources
Index to online repositories of primary sources for the study of European history
Eighteenth Century Collections Online
180,000 titles (200,000 volumes) including books, pamphlets, essays, broadsides and more. Works published in the UK during the 18th century plus thousands from elsewhere. Based on the English Short Title Catalogue.
Early English Books Online
Contains digital facsimile page images of virtually every work printed in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and British North America and works in English printed elsewhere from 1473-1700 - from the first book printed in English by William Caxton, through the age of Spenser and Shakespeare and the tumult of the English Civil War.
A digital thematic research collection of art, music and literary periodicals published between 1848, the year of the European Revolutions, and 1923.
The European Library: gateway to the collections of the major libraries of Europe
Archives Portal Europe: numerous digitized sources and a directory of archival repositories and collections in Europe
ARTstor is a nonprofit digital library of more than one million images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and social sciences with a suite of software tools to view, present, and manage images for research and pedagogical purposes. To find resources for specific countries, browse by Geography, select the country of your choice.
Collections of medieval books on History, Theology, Art, Literature, Language, and the History of Science and Medicine (University of Manchester)
Henry Charles Lea Library
Collection of books and primary sources on the religious history of the medieval and early modern period (University of Pennsylvania)
Walters Art Museum
Over 900 illuminated manuscripts, 1,250 of the first printed books (ca. 1455 - 1500)
Morgan Library & Museum
Thousands of images from the Morgan’s collection of medieval and renaissance manuscripts
A list of online libraries that provide access to digitized medieval manuscripts
- The Journal of Modern History. The leading American journal for the study of European intellectual, political, and cultural history.
- Past and Present. Scholarly articles on historical, social and cultural change in all parts of the world.
- The American Historical Review. The journal of the American Historical Association covers all fields of history and is the leading scholarly historical publication in the U.S.
- International Review of Social History. Global scope, research in social and labour history from a comparative and transnational perspective.
- European History Quarterly. Covers European history from the later Middle Ages to post-1945.
- France History (browse the list to see more specific subjects in French history)
- France History Periodicals.
- Persee: this online repository has many French history scholarly publications (in French)
- Gallica (digital library of the French National Library)
- INA (audiovisual resources)
- French Political Pamphlets (1547-1626)
- Internet Medieval Sourcebook
- ELEC digital library - includes texts like the edit de Nantes et ses antecedents
- French Revolution Pamphlets
- Liberty, Equality, Fraternity: Exploring the French Revolution
- Culture.fr (digitized collections of dozens of French national and local cultural heritage institutions)
- Digital library of Lyon
- Paris: Capital of the 19th Century (books, periodicals, images)
- Images of the Siege and Commune of Paris
- L'histoire par l'image (images of French history, 1789-1945)
- Charles de Gaulle: Paroles publiques (audio and video of De Gaulle speeches)
- e-corpus: digital collections of many institutions in the Euro-Mediterranean region, including many French ones.
- Great Britain History (browse the list to see more specific subjects in British history)
- Ireland History
- Great Britain History Periodicals.
- Ireland History Periodicals.
- JSTOR includes several journals in British studies.
Search Archives Hub to find archival materials in over 300 British archives. See also:
- English Historical Documents (3rd floor, DA26.E55)
- JSTOR 19th Century British Pamphlets
British pamphlets from the 18th and 19th century covering the political, economic and social issues of the time.
- Early English Books Online
- Nineteenth Century British Pamphlets
Online access to the most significant British pamphlets from the 19th century held in UK research libraries. Focus is on the political, economic and social issues of the time.
- British History Online (sources on medieval and modern history)
- Connected Histories (search for primary sources on early modern to 19th century British history)
- The Newton Project
- The British Newspaper Archive (over 200 newspapers - available for a fee through the British Library)
- Guide to 19th century UK periodicals online
- British Library Manuscripts
- A Vision of Britain Through Time
- British Pathe (archive of Pathe films)
- Britannia History
- UK History at EuroDocs
- Oxford Digital Collections
- Histpop : online historical population reports (1801-1937)
- Act of Union Virtual Library (pamphlets, newspapers, parliamentary papers and manuscript material contemporary with the 1800 Act of Union between Ireland and Britain)
- 1916 rising : personalities and perspectives online exhibition (National Library of Ireland)
- Breaking the silence : staying at home in an emigrant society (oral histories about Irish life in the 1950s)
- Collins Collection of Irish political cartoons
- Database of Irish historical statistics
- Irish penal laws
- Murals of Northern Ireland
- Ulster covenant
- Irish Virtual Research Library
- Digital Repository of Ireland
- Germany History (browse the list to see more specific subjects in German history)
- German history in documents and images
- German History sources at EuroDocs
- Digitized German newspapers
- Research reviews and literary journals of the 18th and 19th centuries
- Manuscripts and photographs of the Bayerishe Staatsbibliothek
- Reichstag proceedings, transcripts, 1867-1895
- Holocaust History Project
- A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust (includes primary sources)
- Germany and the Soviet Union, 1937-1938 and 1939-1941
- Berlinische Monatsschrift, a periodical published between 1783 and 1811
- Berlin Wall Online (stories, photographs....)
- German-American diplomacy, 1785-1868
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.