>> RESOURCES RELATED TO CHILDREN & ADOLESCENTS
AAP. Children & Disasters: Disaster Preparedness to Meet Children's Needs
- information from the American Academy of Pediatrics
Adverse Childhood Experiences Study. ACE Reporter Newsletter Archive
- download the latest newsletters and publications for up-to-date findings from this longitudinal study from the CDC and Kaiser Permanente.
CDC. Dating Matters: Understanding Teen Dating Violence Prevention - free online course
Maternal & Child Health Library (Georgetown University) Knowledge Paths
are selections of current, high-quality resources on preventing, identifying, and responding to interpersonal violence. Guides include Child Maltreatment
, Dating Violence Among Adolescents,
and Children and Adolescents Exposed to Violence
PBS. Helping Children with Scary News
- Set of short videos with Mr. Rogers on helping parents and caregivers talk to children about their fears.
PBS. A Path Appears - this three-part video series follows the stories women facing prostitution, domestic violence, teen pregancy, and child labor in our own country and beyond. Location: DVD 4558 available for checkout at the Kresge Circulation Desk. Companion website
with links to engagement and educational materials also available.
TED. How Childhood Trauma Affects Health Across a Lifetime
- a short, 15-minute talk from Dr. Nadine Burke Harris, a pediatrician.
>> RESOURCES RELATED TO ADULTS
American Public Health Association (APHA). Gun Violence Issues & Topics page
- includes APHA policy statements, facts, links to articles, research, and news related to gun violence.
CDC. Violence Prevention
- contains excellent resources on child, youth, community, intimate partner, and elder abuse.
CNN Guns Project
- Tracks shooting incidents across the U.S. each day to highlight stories about community violence. Also includes illustrative statistics.
National Library of Medicine. Health Services Research Information Central - Domestic Violence Topic Page
- a comprehensive website of the latest news and research on domestic violence. Includes data, statistics, assessment tools, links to publications, key organizations, training opportunities, clinical guidelines, and more!
PBS. After Newtown: Guns in America
- website accompanying the special week-long Frontline series. View video clips and read about the issues.
>> RECOMMENDED READING
Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect. Policy statement -- Child abuse, confidentiality, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Pediatrics
Felitti VJ, Anda RF, Nordenberg D et al. The relationship of adult health to childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study
. American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Moninger J. Guns Within Reach
. Parents Magazine
. May 2013.
Porcerelli JH, West PA, Binienda, J, Cogan R. Physical and psychological sypmptoms in emotionally abused and non-abused women
. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine
. 2006; 19(2):201-4.
Yang J, Eggers C, Connor T. 'No rules any more': Chicago violence hits hard at suburban hospital. NBC News
. August 19, 2013.