Introduction to Guide
This library resource guide links to some of the major resources in internal medicine. It includes ebooks from the IM Sub-I syllabus, drug information, EBM resources, physical exam, diagnosis, guidelines, and specialty journals and databases. The guide serves as one stop access for learning resources to support your clerkship rotation and independent or self-directed learning for patient care. If you have any questions or would like to suggest any resources/links for the guide, please contact Misa Mi.
Textbooks for IM Sub Internship
- NEW EDITION! Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 21st ed. 2022. [AccessMedicine]
- Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 26th ed. 2020. [ClinicalKey]
- Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics. 36th ed. 2016. [LWW Health Library]
- Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine. 2e. 2017. [AccessMedicine]
- NEW EDITION! Pocket Medicine: The Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of Internal Medicine, 7th ed. 2020
- Resident Readiness: Internal Medicine. 2013. [AccessMedicine]
Other Online Textbooks
- Clerkship/Clinicial Rotations in Internal Medicine | LWW Health Library - textbooks, general references and board prep resources
- NEW EDITION! The 5-Minute Clinical Consult. 30th ed. 2022.
- Medicine Recall, 4th ed. 2011.
- Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide. 5th ed. 2019.
History Taking and Physical Exam
- Bates' Visual Guide - Streaming videos that accompany the textbook, Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking.
- Guide to Diagnostic Tests, 7th ed. 2017.
- Clinician's Pocket Reference: The Scut Monkey - Clinical and laboratory essentials for daily patient encounters. 11th ed. 2007.
- Ferri's Best Test: A Practical Guide to Clinical Laboratory Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging. 4th ed. 2019.
Evidence-Based Clinical Practice
- The Patient History: An Evidence-Based Approach to Differential Diagnosis, 2nd ed. 2012
- The Rational Clinical Examination: Evidence-Based Clinical Diagnosis
- Symptom to Diagnosis: An Evidence-Based Guide. 4th ed. 2020
- JAMAevidence - Instructional resource from the American Medical Association covering the fundamental concepts of evidence-based medicine (EBM). Includes educational guides, critical appraisal worksheets and the full electronic text of the book, Guides to the Medical Literature: A Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice by Gordon Guyatt
Point of Care Resources
Evidence-based clinical reference tool written by physicians who synthesize the evidence and provide objective analysis to help health care providers in their daily practice. Designed to provide quick answers to clinical questions. Includes thousands of graphics and images, specialty content, mobile access, and enhanced drug information.
Medical and surgical content from Elsevier, including more than 900 books, 500 journals, thousands of videos and millions of images. To download book chapter PDFs, please log in or register for a free account. NOTE: Vendor recommends updating to most recent version of browser.
A large, evidence-based online resource covering thousands of internal medicine, pediatric, OB/GYN, and surgical topics. Designed to answer point-of-care clinical questions.
- Natural Medicines
Natural Medicines (formerly Natural Standard and Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database) is a peer-reviewed, authoritative source for information on complementary and integrative therapies. It is composed of 7 distinct databases: Food, Herbs Supplements, Health & Wellness, Sports Medicine, Comparative Effectiveness, Manufacturers, Commercial Products, and Medical Conditions, that can be searched collectively or individually. The Interaction and Effectiveness Checker tools are particularly helpful.
Key Specialty Journals
Patient Education Resources
- Patient Education Handouts via AccessMedicine
- Patient Education via ClinicalKey
- Patient Education via UpToDate
- CareNotes via Micromedex (Clicking on the Tab CareNotes on the Micromedex home page to access patient education handouts)
- MedlinePlus from the National Library of Medicine - free, easy-to-read patient / consumer health information