The Eyes Have It - Interactive teaching tool on vision and eye care created by Jonathan D. Trobe, MD, from the U of M Kellogg Eye Center. Includes videos, photos, and case problems. App version is available for iPhone / iPad.
[Print only; copies available in OUWB MedStudy Room 102 - RE 46 .B373 2016]
Trobe, Jonathan D. Physician's Guide to Eye Care. 4th ed. American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2012.
[Print only; copies available in OUWB MedStudy Room 102 - RE 48 .T76 2012]
NEW EDITION! Elliott, David B. Clinical Procedures in Primary Eye Care. 5th ed. Elsevier, 2021 [ClinicalKey] - Includes numerous videos.
NEW EDITION! Forrester. The Eye: Basic Sciences in Practice. 5th ed. Elsevier, 2021 [ClinicalKey] - Includes several videos.
NEW EDITION! Friedman, Neil J. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Illustrated Manual of Ophthalmology. 5th ed. Elsevier, 2021 [ClinicalKey] - Includes several videos.
Gault, Janice A. Ophthalmology Secrets in Color. 4th ed. Elsevier, 2016 [ClinicalKey]
Kanski, Jack J. Synopsis of Clinical Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. Elsevier, 2013. [ClinicalKey]
Levin, Leonard A. Adler's Physiology of the Eye. 11th ed. Elsevier, 2011 [ClinicalKey]
Riordan-Eva, Paul (ed). Vaughan & Asbury's General Ophthalmology. 19th ed, McGraw-Hill, 2018 [AccessMedicine]
Salmon, John F. Kanski's Clinical Ophthalmology. 9th ed. Elsevier, 2020 [ClinicalKey]
Yanoff, Myron. Ophthalmology. 5th ed. Elsevier. 2019. [ClinicalKey] - Includes numerous videos.
Paulsen F. "Eye," in Sobotta Atlas of Human Anatomy, Vol. 3, 16th ed. Elsevier, 2017 [ClinicalKey]
Basic Eye Exam / University of Iowa
Medical Student Online Ophthalmology Curriculum / University of Iowa
Fundamentals of Slit Lamp Biomicroscopy / University of Iowa
Introduction to Optics / Tim Root
Anatomy of the Eye Video / Tim Root
Distance Visual Acuity / University of Iowa
Near Visual Acuity / University of Iowa
Confrontation Visual Field Testing / University of Iowa
Ocular Motility Examination / University of Iowa
Pupil Exam / University of Iowa
Slit Lamp Examination / University of Iowa
Direct Ophthalmoscopy / University of Iowa
Penetrating Keratoplasty (PKP) / University of Iowa
Phacoemulsification: First Case / University of Iowa
Ahmed Valve Glaucoma Surgery / University of Iowa
Intravitreal Injection Technique / University of Iowa
Medial Rectus Recession / University of Iowa
Upper Blepharoplasty / University of Iowa
Schedule a Virtual Meeting
Call us or use our online calendar to schedule a Zoom meeting with a medical librarian to discuss in-depth information needs such as the literature search for your Capstone project or other research project.
Problem with a link? Please fill out this form.
- Examining the Eyes - Bates' Visual Guide to Physical Examination. [11 min video]
- NEW EDITION! Swartz, Mark H. "The Eye," in Textbook of Physicial Diagnosis, 8th ed. Saunders, 2021. [ClinicalKey]
- Liu Y, Wu F, Lu L, Lin D, Zhang K. Examination of the retina. N Engl J Med. 2015;373(8):e9. [11 min video]
- Examination of the Optic Nerve: Lippa L. The disc mantra: An algorithm for fundus description. MedEdPORTAL. 2008;4:1086.
Root T. Introduction to the Slit Lamp Exam.OphthoBook.com, 2011. [9 minute YouTube video]
- EyeRounds - Case reports, images, videos, and tutorials from the University of Iowa Department of Opthalmology and Visual Sciences
- EyeWiki - Eye Encyclopedia written by eye physicians and surgeons and maintained by the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Ophthalmic Abbreviations 101 - Helpful article from the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Ophthalmology Resources for Medical Students - Career information, interactive cases, residency information and more from the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Pre-Ophtho - Resource recommendations (books, videos, podcasts, and mobile apps) for medical students considering a career in ophthalmology
- The Cataract Course - Online course from the Emory Eye Center
- Tim Root Virtual Eye Professor - Video lectures, books, and other learning aids
A comprehensive drug database used by over 2,000 hospitals, Clinical Pharmacology contains up-to-date, detailed information on thousands of drugs. Its advanced features allows you to run reports on interactions, search by indication and contraindication, check IV compatibility, and print patient information materials.
Micromedex is a collection of databases containing full-text information on drugs, toxicology, and diseases. The drug information is detailed, referenced, and includes drug comparisons and identification, therapeutic class searching, and dosing. Micromedex also includes an extensive patient education component.
The National Library of Medicine's free interface for MEDLINE, the premier database for biomedical journal citations. PubMed dates back to 1946 and includes more than 32 million citations in medicine, nursing, allied health, and dentistry. PubMed also includes citations from PubMed Central and the NCBI Bookshelf. LitCovid is a subset of articles in PubMed on the topic. It is updated daily; articles are categorized by topic and geographic location.
Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed research literature with more than 20,500 titles from more than 5,000 international publishers. Scopus offers researchers a quick, easy and comprehensive resource to support their research needs in the scientific, technical, medical and social sciences fields and arts and humanities. It also contains tools that track, analyze and visualize scholarly work.
WHO COVID-19 Database
Multinational, multi-lingual database of citations to the research literature on the Coronavirus and COVID-19 from the World Health Organization (WHO).