The Eyes Have It - Free interactive teaching tool on vision and eye care created by Jonathan D. Trobe, MD, from the U of M Kellogg Eye Center. Includes videos, photos, and case problems. Free app version also available.
[Print only; copies available in library]
Trobe, Jonathan D. Physician's Guide to Eye Care. 4th ed. American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2012.
[Print only; copies available in library]
NEW EDITION! Elliott, David B. Clinical Procedures in Primary Eye Care. 5th ed. Elsevier, 2021 [ClinicalKey] - Includes numerous videos.
Forrester, John V. The Eye: Basic Sciences in Practice. 4th ed. Elsevier, 2016 [ClinicalKey] - Includes several videos.
Friedman, Neil J. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Illustrated Manual of Ophthalmology. 5th ed. Elsevier, 2021 [ClinicalKey] - Includes several videos.
Gault, Janice A. Ophthalmology Secrets in Color. 4th ed. Elsevier, 2016 [ClinicalKey]
Kanski, Jack J. Synopsis of Clinical Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. Elsevier, 2013. [ClinicalKey]
Levin, Leonard A. Adler's Physiology of the Eye. 11th ed. Elsevier, 2011 [ClinicalKey]
Riordan-Eva, Paul (ed). Vaughan & Asbury's General Ophthalmology. 19th ed, McGraw-Hill, 2018 [AccessMedicine]
Salmon, John F. Kanski's Clinical Ophthalmology. 9th ed. Elsevier, 2020 [ClinicalKey]
Yanoff, Myron. Ophthalmology. 5th ed. Elsevier. 2019. [ClinicalKey] - Includes numerous videos.
Paulsen F. "Eye," in Sobotta Atlas of Human Anatomy, Vol. 3, 15th ed. Elsevier, 2013 [ClinicalKey]
A comprehensive drug database used by over 2,000 hospitals, Clinical Pharmacology contains up-to-date, detailed information on thousands of drugs. Its advanced features allows you to run reports on interactions, search by indication and contraindication, check IV compatibility, and print patient information materials.
Micromedex is a collection of databases containing full-text information on drugs, toxicology, and diseases. The drug information is detailed, referenced, and includes drug comparisons and identification, therapeutic class searching, and dosing. Micromedex also includes an extensive patient education component.
Medical Library Director
- Examining the Eyes - Bates' Visual Guide to Physical Examination. [11 min video]
- Swartz, Mark H. "The Eye," in Textbook of Physicial Diagnosis, 7th ed. Saunders, 2014. [ClinicalKey]
- Liu Y, Wu F, Lu L, Lin D, Zhang K. Examination of the retina. N Engl J Med. 2015;373(8):e9. [11 min video]
- Examination of the Optic Nerve: Lippa L. The disc mantra: an algorithm for fundus description. MedEdPORTAL. 2008;4:1086.
Root T. Introduction to the Slit Lamp Exam.OphthoBook.com, 2011. [9 minute YouTube video]
- EyeRounds - Case reports, images, videos, and tutorials from the University of Iowa Department of Opthalmology and Visual Sciences
- EyeWiki - Eye Encyclopedia written by eye physicians and surgeons and maintained by the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Ophthalmic Abbreviations 101 - Helpful article from the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Ophthalmology Resources for Medical Students - Career information, interactive cases, residency information and more from the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Pre-Ophtho - Resource recommendations (books, videos, podcasts, and mobile apps) for medical students considering a career in ophthalmology
- The Cataract Course - Online course from the Emory Eye Center
- Tim Root Virtual Eye Professor - Video lectures, books, and other learning aids
The National Library of Medicine's free interface for MEDLINE, the premier database for biomedical journal citations. MEDLINE dates back to 1946 and includes more than 20 million citations in medicine, nursing, allied health and dentistry. LitCovid is a subset of articles in PubMed on the topic. It is updated daily; articles are categorized by topic and geographic location.
Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed research literature with more than 20,500 titles from more than 5,000 international publishers. Scopus offers researchers a quick, easy and comprehensive resource to support their research needs in the scientific, technical, medical and social sciences fields and arts and humanities. It also contains tools that track, analyze and visualize scholarly work.
WHO COVID-19 Database
Multinational, multi-lingual database of citations to the research literature on the Corona Virus and COVID-19 from the World Health Organization (WHO).