Blackwell Companion to the History of the Middle East (DS 62 .C63 2005)
Biographical Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East and North Africa (Ref. - CT 1866 .B56 2008)
The State of the Middle East : An Atlas of Conflict and Resolution (Ref - G 2205 .S6 2006)
Encyclopedia of the modern Middle East & North Africa (Ref - DS 43 .E53 2004)
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.
Archives the full-text of articles from numerous history journals and journals in Middle East studies, as well as books.
Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, the history of education, and more. Provides indexing of more than 1700 academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. How to export to RefWorks
Selected journals in the history of the Middle East
ARTstor is a nonprofit digital library of more than one million images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and social sciences with a suite of software tools to view, present, and manage images for research and pedagogical purposes. To find resources for specific countries, browse by Geography, select the country of your choice.
- Oriental Institute Photographic Archives (Sudan, Egypt, IRan, Iraq)
- Middle East in Early Prints and Photographs
- ArchNet Digital Library
- Abdul Hamid II Collection (Ottoman empire)
- American Center of Oriental Research photo archive
- Mahmud Guhl collection of photographs
- The Middle East Virtual Library (MENALIB): gateway to full-text digital collections of secondary and primary sources
- Electronic Middle East Sourcebook
- The Middle East 1916-2001: a documentary record (Avalon Project)
- Wilson Center Digital Archive: International history, many documents in Middle East history
- Arabic Collections Online (ACO): public domain Arabic language content.
- Middle East maps (U Texas)
- ECAI Iraq (a portal into existing digital resources about history, cultural sites, archaeological excavations and heritage preservation initiatives)
- Qatar Digital Library (modern history and culture of the Gulf)
- The Afghanistan Digital Library (works published in Afghanistan between 1870 and 1930)
- Afghanistan: the Harrison Forman image collection (Afghanistan in the late 1960s)
- American University of Beirut Poster Collection (political posters, 1960s-1980s)
- American University of Cairo Digital Collections
- Travelers in the Middle East Archive (text, photographs, maps - particularly Egypt)
More resources (non English):
Primary sources (in addition to those listed above):
Humanities Librarian for History and Modern Languages
[by phone or virtual meeting]