CINAHL Plus with Full-Text is a comprehensive and highly-authoritative database for research in nursing and health sciences. How to Export to Refworks
Cochrane Library A collection of databases that contain evidence for healthcare decision-making. Includes systematic review abstracts, technology assessments, economic evaluations and individual clinical trials.
PubMed (MEDLINE) The National Library of Medicine's free interface for MEDLINE, the premier database for biomedical journal citations. How to export to RefWorks
View entire list of Nursing related databases
- Problem formulation - which topic or field is being examined and what are the component issues?
- Literature search - finding materials relevant to the subject explored
- Data evaluation - determining which literature makes a significant contribution to the understanding of the topic
- Analysis and interpretations - discussing the findings and conclusions of pertinent literature
A "well-built" question should include four parts, referred to as PICO that identify the patient problem or population (P), intervention (I), comparison (C) and outcome(s) (O).
Example: How do alternative breast cancer treatments improve the quality of life for young adult females?
P= young adult females with breast cancer
I = alternative therapies
C= patients who don't use alternative therapies
O= quality of life improvement
- Problem Identification: Converting information needs into an answerable question
- Finding the Evidence: Finding, with maximum efficiency, the best evidence with which to answer the question
- Critique: Determining the merit, feasibility and utility of evidence
- Summarize the Evidence: Combining findings from all evidence to make a practice recommendation
- Application to Practice: Incorporating the recommendation into a clinical setting or organization
- Evaluation – Determining the effective of the practice over time
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE SURVEY
Ask a research question by phone, call us at (248)-370-4426 or chat, email, or in person at the research help desk.
The Writing Center at Oakland University will assist developing their ideas into polished final products. The Center's services are in high demand so be sure to plan ahead when scheduling an appointment.
- National Guideline Clearinghouse is a public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- TRIP Database is a clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
- The NHS Clinical Knowledge Summaries (formerly PRODIGY) are a reliable source of evidence-based information and practical 'know how' about the common conditions managed in primary care. (UK based)
Evidence-Based Practice Quick Reference Guide (Alaska Medical Library)
Evidence-Based Practice in the Health Sciences: EBP Nursing Tutorial (UIC)
Analyzing Sources & Literature Review tutorials:
Essential Elements of a Literature Review guide (UC Santa Cuz)
Conducting Literature Reviews - detailed guide (USC)
Citation Style Guides:APA Formating and Style Guide with examples (by Owl at Purdue)