Suggested nursing databases:
CINAHL Complete is a comprehensive and highly-authoritative database for research in nursing and health sciences.
Cochrane Library A collection of databases that contain evidence for healthcare decision-making. Includes systematic review abstracts, technology assessments, economic evaluations and individual clinical trials.
PubMed (MEDLINE) The National Library of Medicine's free interface for MEDLINE, the premier database for biomedical journal citations.
Medline via Web of Science
You can also MEDLINE using the Web of Science database which some people find easier.
Scopus Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed research literature with more than 20,500 titles from more than 5,000 international publishers.
*If we don't have your article electronically or in print click Get From another library to use the free InterLibrary Loan service.
EBM Pyramid and EBM Page Generator, copyright 2006 Trustees of Dartmouth College and Yale University.
- Problem formulation - which topic or field is being examined and what are the component issues?
- Literature search - finding materials relevant to the subject explored
- Data evaluation - determining which literature makes a significant contribution to the understanding of the topic
- Analysis and interpretations - discussing the findings and conclusions of pertinent literature
Bonnel, W. E., & Smith, K. V. (2014). Proposal writing for nursing capstones and clinical projects. New York: Springer.
Garrard, J. (2011). Health sciences literature review made easy: The matrix method (3rd ed.). Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
Holland, K., & Watson, R. (2012). Writing for publication in nursing and healthcare: Getting it right. Ames, Iowa; Chichester, West Sussex, UK;: Wiley-Blackwell.
Oermann, M. H., & Hays, J. C. (2016). Writing for publication in nursing (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company, LLC.
Taylor, D. B. (2014). Writing skills in nursing and healthcare: A guide to completing successful dissertations and theses. Los Angeles: Sage Publications.
Julia Rodriguez is currently the Health Sciences and Scholarly Communications Librarian. From 2008 to 2020, her professional focus also included serving as the nursing librarian and this content is the result of that work.
The goal of this tutorial is to equip students with the skills needed to be an effective researcher. It takes about 45-60 minutes to complete. At the end, participants can complete a short quiz - with a grade of at least 80%, they earn a badge of completion.
The purpose of this tutorial is to give students a greater understanding of academic integrity and plagiarism, how and when to use sources, and how to quote, paraphrase, and cite correctly. It takes about 45-60 minutes to complete. At the end, participants can complete a short quiz - with a grade of at least 80%, they earn a badge of completion.
- Essential Elements of a Literature Review guide (UC Santa Cuz)
- Conducting Literature Reviews - detailed guide (USC)
- How to Write a Literature Review - Nursing Education Expert
- CINAHL - The library offers tutorials on database features and a one-hour online workshop available both via Zoom and as a recording.
- PUBMED - The NIH has developed video tutorials for every level of expertise in searching PubMed. Please start with "Quick Tours for Everyone."
- EBP databases searching strategies
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.
playlist of over 20 videos and select specific ones to watch.
This multi-page online resources talks about poster sessions, including their purposes, their audiences, and the appropriate writing style for scientific posters. You are welcome to navigate its table of content online or get a printer-friendly PDF version if you want to save a copy for your reference.
Poster Design - Best Practices
This guide covers the basics of designing an effective academic poster.
OU SON Poster Template
A three-column poster template with the OU School of Nursing logo.
PPTX Poster Templates
You can design a poster in PowerPoint by customizing the size of the slide and then designing all elements from scratch. Free online templates save you the time in resizing a slide, making columns, and creating other key layout features.