Provides understandable and authoritative information on numerous topics in the various fields of science and technology. Features entries written by international leaders in science and technology.
Penguin Dictionary of Physics
Provides clear and concise definitions for every area of physics--from optics and acoustics to mechanics and electronics, via quantum theory and relativity.
50 Physics Ideas You Really Need To Know
In 50 Physics Ideas You Really Need to Know Joanne Baker will uncover the physics all around us, from basic concepts like gravity, light and energy through to the complexities of quantum theory, chaos and dark energy.
Web of Science contains publications related to the arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences. It’s an excellent database for comprehensive and interdisciplinary searches.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, data papers, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 66 million items
- Coverage years = 1900 to present
PubMed is a free online interface provided by the National Library of Medicine to search MEDLINE, which focuses on biomedical literature.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings, abstracts, datasets, editorials, news articles
- Contains over 28 million items
- Coverage years = 1946 to present
It’s free to search so you can use it after leaving OU (but you may not be able to access the full text of the items you find in PubMed).
arXiv (pronounced ‘archive’) is an open access database of research articles (both pre-prints and published articles). Disciplines covered include physics, mathematics, computer science, nonlinear sciences, quantitative biology, quantitative finance, statistics, electrical engineering and systems science, and economics. arXiv is maintained and operated by the Cornell University Library. After registering, researchers can submit their own pre-prints or published articles.
Engineering Village - Compendex
Compendex is a comprehensive database of scientific and technical engineering research, covering all engineering disciplines. It includes millions of citations and abstracts from thousands of engineering journals and conference proceedings
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, patents, conference proceedings/papers, trade publications, editorials, technical reports, dissertations
- Contains over 20 million items
- Coverage years = 1884 to present
This resource allows access to 75 Institute of Physics (IOP) journals. Backfiles to Volume 1 of most journals of the Institute of Physics, along with citations to dissertations in physics and news briefs from Physics World.
- Publication types: journal articles, books/book chapters, reviews, conference proceedings/papers, technical reports
- Contains over 800,000 items
- Coverage years = 1874 to present
- The New York Times Science Section - leading US newspaper
- BBC News Science Section - UK news source
- EurekAlert! - created by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Nature News - science news articles from Nature Publishing Group
- New Scientist - UK science & technology magazine
- Smithsonian magazine Science Section - publication by the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C.
- National Public Radio Science Section
Refworks allows you to create a personal database of references and automatically generate formatted bibliographies for your projects.
You may request materials we don't have and we'll borrow them from another library for you.