An evidence-based clinical reference tool for use at the point-of-care, includes information about epidemiology, diagnosis, prevention, guidelines etc.
All COVID-19 content is free to download. To access PDF of all content, you must log in or register for a free account with your institutional subscription.
Evidence-based online resource covering thousands of internal medicine, pediatric, and OB/GYN topics. Includes topic summaries, adult and pediatric facets, graphs, images, guidelines etc.
Associate Professor / Health Sciences & Scholarly Communications Librarian
If none of the time slots work for you or if there are none available, email me directly and suggest a date & time and I will do my best to accommodate you.
Business Source Elite Broad scope - includes academic journals, trade publications, magazines, books, market research reports.
CINAHL Complete comprehensive and highly-authoritative database for research in nursing and health sciences.
Cochrane Library A collection of databases that contain evidence for healthcare decision-making. Includes systematic review abstracts, technology assessments, economic evaluations and individual clinical trials.
GenderWatch Database of unique and diverse publications that focus on how gender impacts a broad spectrum of subject areas - including health and wellness.
PubMed (MEDLINE) The National Library of Medicine's free interface for MEDLINE the premier database for biomedical journal citations.
PsycINFO Database of psychology and counseling literature.
Scopus the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed research literature with more than 20,500 titles from more than 5,000 international publishers.
Social Work Abstracts database of more than 450 social work and human services journals.
Web of Science a leading database of scholarly journals, books, and proceedings in the sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities and navigate the full citation network.
For all research databases BROWSE SUBJECT LIST of DATABASES.
TRIP Database is a clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice.
The NHS Clinical Knowledge Summaries (formerly PRODIGY) are a reliable source of evidence-based information and practical 'know how' about the common conditions managed in primary care. (UK based)
- African Americans by the Numbers: Understanding and Interpreting Statistics on African American Life (2017)
- Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance (2018)
- Encyclopedia of Adolescence (2018)
- Encyclopedia of Public Health (2008)
- The Gale Encyclopedia Of Senior Health (2015)
Selection of Ebooks in OU Libraries collection:
- RAND suicide prevention program evaluation toolkit (2013)
- Statistical tools for program evaluation: methods and applications to economic policy, public health, and education (2017)
- Intervention Effectiveness Research: Quality Improvement and Program Evaluation (2017)
- Health behavior theory, research, and practice (2015)
1. Government Health sites:
- Agency for Healthcare Research Qualtiy - (AHRQ) - National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - National Center for Health Statistics
- HealthData.gov -a federal government website managed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- National Institute on Minority Health & Health Disparities (NIH)
- World Health Organization
- DemographicsNow database available through MEL. Limited Census data searching
- American FactFinder
- Census of the United States
- Kids Count - a wealth of stats on children
- Homelessness Statistics by State - U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Data Archive (SAMHDA) - U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services
- Census & Statistical Data for Michigan
- City Health Dashboard
- Data Driven Detroit
- Michigan State & County Quick Facts
- Michigan Dept. of Health and Human Services - Health Statistics and Reports
- SEMCOG - Data and Maps (particularly the Community Profiles)
- PolicyMap Leverage thousands of U.S. data indicators to perform demographic and socioeconomic analysis, from a neighborhood census block group in many cases, up to a national level, as well as create custom regions, for their research and studies.
- Children's Bureau - Office of the Administration for Children & Families - Laws & Policies
- Health and Human Services - Laws and Regulations
- Regulations.gov - Find, review, and submit comments on Federal documents published in the Federal Register.
Citation Style Guides:
Six Things to Consider about any information source.....
1. Authority - Who is the author/developer? What are her/his qualifications? What are the affiliations, if any?
2. Currency - Is the material current, updated regularly?
3. Coverage - Is the information complete? Are there sources given for additional information?
4. Accuracy - How do you know the information contained is correct? Are the facts cited, can they be checked?
5. Objectivity/Bias - Is the information presented objectively? What bias might the authors/creators have?
6. Appropriateness - Is this a good source for academic / scholarly level research?
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Evidence-Based Practice Quick Reference Guide (Alaska Medical Library)
Evidence-Based Practice in the Health Sciences: EBP Nursing Tutorial (UIC
Analyzing Sources & Literature Review tutorials:
Essential Elements of a Literature Review guide (UC Santa Cuz)
Conducting Literature Reviews - detailed guide (USC)
Critically Analyzing Information Sources (Cornell Libraries)