After you have explored your topic in Groves, you should look at the following site.
Culture and Art - Sites are annotated with notes like "Essential" and notes on site contents.
VOS Voice of the Shuttle
Chinese Art - This is an extensive collection of sites.
Chinese Art - This is another extensive collection of sites, good for artists and history, alpha arranged.
Classic Chinese Paintings - Arranged by dynasty.
"IDP is a ground-breaking international collaboration to make information and images of all manuscripts, paintings, textiles and artefacts from Dunhuang and archaeological sites of the Eastern Silk Road freely available on the Internet and to encourage their use through educational and research programmes.
Tens of thousands of images along with catalogues, translations, historical photographs, archaeological site plans and much more are already freely available to all on the IDP DATABASE (add your search term in the box to the left or go to Advanced Search ). This multilingual website and database is hosted by IDP's members in Britain , China , Russia , Japan and Germany ."
Chinese Art - Here are some of the sites you will find:
- Antique Chinese Porcelain Collector's Page : 500+ pages on the history of and research on Chinese pottery and porcelain
- Bibliography of Contemporary Chinese Art , including mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and diaspora, compiled by Britta Erickson, 1998-1999
- Bibliography of Photo-Albums and Materials Related to the History of Photography in China and Tibet before 1949 , compiled by Thomas H. Hahn, Ithaca, NY
- James Cahill (Professor Emeritus, University of California): "a repository of my (mostly unpublished, or hard-to-find) writings, to be read and downloaded"
- The China Collection : research and licensing location devoted to contemporary Chinese art and culture, featuring the Hefner Collection of Contemporary Chinese Art
- China Cultural Heritage Net , State Administration of Cultural Heritage
- Chinese Propaganda Poster Pages WWW compiled by Stephan Landsberger
- Classical Chinese Furniture
- Collections of Chinese Painting , compiled by the Department of East Asian Art, Institute for Oriental Culture, and originally published in the multi-volume publication Comprehensive Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Paintings (First Series, 5 volumes, 1980; Second Series, 4 volumes, 2001); searchable by painter, subject, collection in English and Japanese
- Digital Scrolling Paintings Project , Center for the Art of East Asia, University of Chicago
- Thomas H. Hahn Docu-Images : documentary photography on the themes of (1) Chinese modern art; (2) urbanization and architecture; (3) Daoist and/or Buddhist mountains, monasteries, and "theme parks"; (4) the city of Tianjin; (5) views of the cities Fuzhou and Yangzhou; (6) impressions of Tibet
- Holmes Welch Collection , University of Wisconsin-Madison: religious themes and the Tianjin Collection
- International Dunhuang Project , British Library, UK: image database of manuscripts; resources on the Silk Road; IDP News and other publications
- Lienu zhuan : woodblock-printed volume made available on-line
- "The Long March Project - A Walking Visual Display" : "The curatorial team along with two camera crews will accompany the trek of 100+ artists for four months documenting and archiving the experience. Local and international artists will join the team at different venues. Twenty historically, politically, and geographically significant locations have been carefully selected for exhibitions and lectures. Original artworks and secondary sources (slides, videos, exhibition catalogues) will be displayed."
- "Recording the Grandeur of the Qing: The Southern Inspection Tour Scrolls of the Kangxi and Qianlong Emperors" : web module created by Metropolitan Museum of Art and the East Asian Curriculum Project of the East Asian Institute, Columbia University
New Chinese Art - Includes: works in progress, chronologies, biographies, commissions.
Asia Society - Links to museums, publications, videos.
China Includes : The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Art Museum
Flagstaff House Museum of Teaware , Hong Kong
Guangdong Museum of Art
Henan Museum , Luoyang
Hong Kong Heritage Museum
Hong Kong Museum of Art
Hong Kong Museum of History
Museum of Qin Shihuang Terracotta Warriors and Horses , Xi'an
Nanjing Museum and its Academic Exchanges on Conservation in China
The National Museum of Chinese History (Zhongguo lishi bowuguan), Beijing
Palace Museum , Beijing
Shaanxi History Museum , Xi'an
University of Hong Kong, University Museum and Art Gallery
Visible Traces: Rare Books and Special Collections from the National Library of China : on-line exhibition, teacher's guide, etc.
NB: Many of these museums use Chinese.