Online Historical Atlases
- Historical Atlas of the Twentieth Century.
- University of Texas Map Collection - This is the best one.
- Map Library - From West Point, this site is good for wars.
- National Geographic's MapMachine - Good for battles among other historical maps. Use the navigation bar on the left and click on "historical map."
- Map Collections: 1500-2002 - From the Library of Congress, this is good for cultural, transportation, battles, and cities and towns.
- Maps Online - Identifies several key collections of historical maps.
- Pre 1900 Map Collection - Beinecke Digital Library - This digitized collection is from Yale University and contains maps before 1900.
- Xpedition Atlas - National Geographic. This collection contains maps that are good for reproductions.
- National Atlas of the United States - Interactive on a variety of topics such as ethnicity, crimes, agriculture. Arranged by continent and then by region. Of special note are the economic and physical summary pages. For example, the economic summary lists the GNP, inflation rate and daily calories per capita. Also, maps on population distribution, temperature and precipitation.
Census Maps & Geological Surveys